Digi-scoping Kits for Olympus Stylus VG-180
Opticron VG-180 digital compact camera kits are a high quality, easy to use solution to the problem of choosing a suitable compact camera for high magnification telephotography (digi-scoping).
Kits contain a bespoke camera mount for the Olympus VG-180 camera, cable release frame and cable release plus the choice of a Push-fit Photoadapter to match your HDF T or SDL eyepiece. (See Table)
Camera needs to be purchased separately.
|50307||Kit for HDF T 40810 & 40809 eyepieces
Includes: 50301 Camera Mount, 41111 Photoadapter, Cable Release Frame & Cable Release
|50308||Kit for HDF T zoom eyepiece
Includes: 50301 Camera Mount, 41112 Photoadapter, Cable Release Frame & Cable Release
|50309||Kit for SDLv2 zoom eyepiece
Includes: 50301 Camera Mount, 41114 Photoadapter, Cable Release Frame & Cable Release
1. Initial setup
Before connecting everything together, set up your telescope and eyepiece on a tripod as you would for viewing, making sure your chosen eyepiece is screwed firmly into position. Focus on an object in the normal way until the image being viewed comes into sharp focus. Twist-type eyecups should be in the ‘down’ position and fold down rubber eyecups should be removed from the eyepiece.
2. Attaching the camera mount to the camera body
The camera slots into the cradle [Fig. 1] and is fixed in position by screwing the thumbscrew into the 1/4" socket on the underside of the camera body [Fig. 2]
3. Preparing and fitting your chosen adapter
- Assemble the component parts of your chosen adapter.
- If you are using the 41114, make sure the 28mm threaded step ring is fitted to the main housing.
- Screw the adapter onto the camera mount. [Fig. 3]
- The camera is now ready to attach to the viewing eyepiece. [Fig. 4]
4. Fitting the combined assembly to the telescope eyepiece [Fig. 5]
- Place assembly over the eyepiece and push down until the internal wall of the adapter comes into contact with the end of the eyepiece. [a]
- For 50065 DCC Adapter, hold the main section of the adapter secure and turn the locking ring anti-clockwise until tight making sure the camera remains horizontal.
- For 41114 Photoadapter Push-fit SDL, tighten thumb screw.
- Turn the camera ON, making sure the flash is switched off before taking photographs. For additional guidance on how to operate the camera please read the instructions supplied.
Tips for taking pictures
- The VG-180 doesn’t have a viewfinder so images are composed using the LCD monitor. When the camera is turned on the LCD monitor will show a single rounded picture of the image you originally set your scope and eyepiece to. Once this single rounded picture is obtained you can adjust the camera zoom to eliminate any vignetting and make any fine focus adjustments using the telescope.
- For general digi-scoping use sport or P mode setting ISO to 400 and adjusting exposure control as required. To minimise shake when pressing the shutter, use a pinch grip with your thumb on the base of the camera, try the 2 sec timer or optional cable release frame.